“An impressive addition to you brunch table or afternoon tea.” – April Ferre
Luncheon Puff Pastry Appetizers
- 1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Recipe Luncheon-Type Salad
- For Choux Paste: In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat butter, water and salt to boiling. Remove from heat. Add flour all at once. With wooden spoon, vigorously stir until mixture forms a ball and leaves side of pan. Add eggs to flour mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until smooth. Cool mixture slightly.
- Using large spoon and rubber spatula, drop choux paste onto greased cookie sheets in 24 mounds, 3 inches apart, swirling the top of each. Bake 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven, cut slit in the side of each puff. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer. Turn off oven; dry puffs in oven 10 minutes. Cool.
- Prepare filling of your choice: Chicken salad with apple, egg salad with chopped ham, tuna salad, crab filling from Cherry-O-Crab Appetizers, or the salmon mixture from the Salmon Party Ball.
- When puffs are cool, slice top off of each. Over-fill shell with salad and replace top so that filling can still be seen in the middle of the puff. Refrigerate until serving time.
2011 Recipe – Calla and April Ferre – Partially from From The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, 1980.