“For my birthday, I usually request a German Chocolate Cake or Poppy Seed Cake with Chocolate Ganache, but for the 41st birthday, I was craving some cream cheese frosting. I found this recipe and my mom was up for giving it a try. It is the perfect springtime cake, and is especially good made with Meyer lemons. Decorate with fresh flowers for an impressive display.” – April Ferre
Lemon Blueberry Cake
For Lemon Blueberry Cake:
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar Packed
- 4 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 3 Cups Flour Sifted
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 Cup Blueberries Fresh or Frozen (Do Not Thaw)
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 3/4 Cup Butter Softened
- 5 1/4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch Salt
- Extra Blueberries and Lemon Slices For Decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8- to 9-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper rounds, then grease parchment paper.
To make the cake:
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, then add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Combine buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice in another small bowl. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk-lemon mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour and gently fold into the cake batter. Batter will be very thick; do not overmix.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake for approximately 21 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan before assembling and frosting.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoon heavy cream, vanilla and salt. Beat again until smooth.
- Add additional cream if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- If you plan on piping any decorations, you may need to add additional powdered sugar to get the proper consistency.
Assemble the cake:
- Fill and frost the cooled cake layers with cream cheese frosting.
- Decorate with extra blueberries, lemon slices, and fresh flowers.
- Refrigerate at least 45 minutes before cutting or else cake may fall apart as you are cutting. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
2023 Recipe – April & Calla Ferre – Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction