“This was my very favorite cake to have Mom make me for my birthday.” – Calla Ferre
Poppy Seed Cake
- 4 Egg Whites Stiffly Beaten
- 3/4 Cup Shortening Half Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 1/4 Cups Cake Flour Or 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- Soak poppy seeds in 1/2 cup water for 2 hours. Drain off water. Prepare a 9-inch square pan or two 8-inch layer pans.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add poppy seeds. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with 1 cup water. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool. Use custard filling between layers and frost with chocolate frosting.
Early 1900s Recipe – Calla Stacker – Also in Betty Crocker’s Picture Cookbook, 1st edition, 1950