“I found this recipe when I was looking for something to serve alongside Betty’s Eggs Ole. With the eggs, it is a complete meal, or without the eggs it makes a great side dish. Serve with any of the toppings you like, but the Avocado Crema is highly recommended, especially if you are going to up the heat with the Cayenne Pepper.” – April Ferre
Sweet Potato & Chorizo Hash
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 1 4- Ounce Can Diced Green Chiles
- 8 Ounces Chorizo
- 4 Cups Sweet Potatoes Diced
- 4 to 5 Large Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- Sea Salt To Taste
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or deep fry pan. Add onion and spices and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add green chiles and chorizo and stir to combine. Cook until the chorizo browns.
- Add sweet potato and 1/4 cup water. Cover and steam the potatoes until they are soft. Stir every few minutes to loose the bits on the bottom.
- Make the Avocado Crema by blending the avocado, lime juice, mayonnaise and salt.
- Once the potatoes are soft, make divots in the hash and crack in the eggs. Cover and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve topped with Avocado Crema, Pico de Gallo, cilantro, sliced avocado and lime wedges.
2020 Recipe – April Ferre – From Wicked Spatula