“When I first went gluten-free I really craved something bread-like. I created this adaptation as a bread-style alternative to have with my morning coffee. It can be enjoyed any time of the day.” – Calla Ferre
Morning Muffins (Gluten-Free)
- 2 Cups Calla’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 1/2 Cups Gluten-Free Cornmeal
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Buttermilk Optional (See Note)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Cups minus 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 Eggs Unbeaten
- 1/3 Cup Butter Melted
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Cups Carrots Grated
- 1 1/2 Cup Raisins
- Mix dry ingredients together with a wire whisk so that they are well combined.
- Add milk, vinegar, eggs, butter, oil, and vanilla. Beat together until smooth. Stir in grated carrots and raisins.
- Bake in greased muffin tins at 420 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes until golden and cooked through. Makes 2 dozen muffins. Equally good when half-rule is made.
- Alternatively, you can bake this in a Bundt cake pan for about 1 hour. Top with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
This recipe was made with Saco Pantry Cultured Buttermilk Blend, which can be found in the baking aisle. Use it dry; do not add additional water. This is optional, but it does improve the texture.