“Great custard from the Joy of Cooking. Including toasted almonds adds a bit of intrigue. You can vary the amount of creaminess by altering the ratio of milk to cream.” – April Ferre
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Scalded Milk or Cream
- 2 Eggs or 4 Egg Yolks Slightly Beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Blanched Chopped Almonds Optional
- 1 Tablespoon Sherry, Rum, Etc Optional
- Sufficient to spread between three 9-inch layers.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt. Add milk or cream and stir until smooth and thick. Pour over eggs. Stir and cook the custard in a double boiler until the eggs thicken. Cool and add vanilla, almonds and sherry.
- Variation: Banana Custard Filling: Before spreading the custard, add 2 or more thinly sliced bananas.
Recipe – April Ferre – From The Joy of Cooking, 1946