“I’ve been trying for quite awhile to find a recipe similar to the chili I use to have at my friend Melissa’s house when we were in middle school. I haven’t quite got it right yet, but this one is close. It’s not very spicy, since my stomach can’t handle it, so you may want to add more spices to taste.” – April Ferre
Chili Con Carne #2
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 to 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 28-Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 10.75-Ounce Can Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1 6-Ounce Can Tomato Paste
- 1 4 1/2-Ounce Can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 to 3 Serrano Chili Peppers Finely Chopped
- 1 15-Ounce Can Red Kidney Beans or Pinto Beans Drained & Rinsed
- 1 15-Ounce Can Black Beans Drained & Rinsed
- 1 15-Ounce Can Corn Optional
- In Dutch oven, combine ground beef and onion. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans, black beans and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; simmer until thoroughly heated. Serve with cornbread.
2003 Modified Recipe – April Ferre – From Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, 2000