“A staple from my Mom. I’ve never used any other recipe for corn bread because this one is so good.” – Calla Ferre
“A well worn recipe from my time in Oregon.” – Jean Hansen
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Yellow Corn Meal
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Buttermilk Or Sour Milk
- 2 Eggs Unbeaten
- 2/3 Cup Shortening Melted
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients. Beat together until smooth.
- Bake in two greased layer cake pans or one larger 9×13 inch pan. Equally good when half-rule is made. Excellent for corn muffins. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes depending on size of the pans.
1950’s Recipe – Jean Hansen – From YWCA of Salem, Oregon Cookbook