“Every year I make carrots and pearl onions to go with my Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day. I usually just boil them in the corned beef broth, but I found this recipe that is really nice. Use fresh lemon thyme if you grow it in your garden.” – April Ferre
Carrots & Pearl Onions
- 1/2 Pound Fresh Pearl Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Sugar Divided
- 1 Pound Carrots Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Thyme (Or 1 Teaspoon Dried)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add pearl onions and boil 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Peel onions.
- In the same pan, add butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in 3/4 teaspoon sugar. Add the onions and cook until golden brown, stirring often.
- Add chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and then remaining sugar. Mix well. Add carrots and carefully mix again, taking care not to break up the onions.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 6 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and take out bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon.
2023 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – Adapted from Taste of Home