“When I had my Japanese cooking spree, I needed to find some very specific ingredients so I located a Japanese mini mart. While I was there I saw this lychee flavored drink called ‘Calpico’ and I was intrigued, so I bought a bottle. A few sips in and I was hooked. I found it on Amazon but quickly realized my cravings were going to cost me. As I was also replicating some other favorite Asian beverages like Boba, Thai Iced Tea and Vietnamese Iced Coffee, I decided to try to replicate the Calpico as well.
What I would say about this recipe is that it only sort of replicates the original Calpico (non fruit flavored), but with the addition of the lychee syrup it comes a lot closer. There is more body and a bit of astringency to this version of Calpico due to using the Greek yogurt as a base. The fun part about this recipe is you can experiment with other flavors, so the sky is the limit! ” – April Ferre
- 150 Grams (5.3 Ounces) Plain Greek Yogurt
- 80 Grams Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Citric Acid or 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 1/3 Cup Water (Plain or Mineral)
- 2 Tablespoons Lychee or Other Flavored Syrup Optional, Such as Tea Zone
- Combine yogurt, sugar and citric acid in a small bowl. Mix well.
- In a pitcher or carafe, combine yogurt mixture, water and flavored syrup. Stir until well combined.
- Makes approximately 1 quart.
2021 Recipe – April Ferre