“Over the course of a week I went on an international iced beverage kick. Thai Iced Tea, Boba, and now Vietnamese Iced Coffee. If you want an afternoon jolt, this is it. Add more or less coffee grounds to the phin (coffee filter) depending on your caffeine tolerance.” – April Ferre
Cà Phê Sữa Đá (Vietnamese Iced Coffee)
- 2 Tablespoons Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons Trung Nguyen or Cafe du Monde Coffee
- 1 Cup Water Just Boiling
- 1/2 to 1 Cup Ice
- In a glass or coffee mug, add sweetened condensed milk. Place coffee grounds in an 8 ounce phin, level and compact (but not too hard.) Put phin on top of coffee mug.
- Bring water just to a boil. Add a small amount of hot water gently to the phin and wait 30 seconds for grounds to absorb the water. Then slowly add the rest of the hot water. If done correctly, a strong coffee will brew over the course of the next 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once fully brewed, stir well to combine milk and coffee. In a separate taller glass add ice and pour coffee over. Or enjoy your coffee hot!
2021 Recipe – April Ferre