Triple Berry Pie
- 7 Cups Fresh or Frozen Berry Mix (Raspberry, Blackberry & Blueberry)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Plain Pie Pastry (2 Crust)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream or Water
- Turbinado Sugar For Sprinkling
- If using frozen berries, measure first and then thaw. Combine berries, sugar and lemon juice in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir gently to try to keep berries as intact as possible, though raspberries and blackberries are likely to disintegrate.
- Combine cornstarch and about 1/2 cup of the berry juice in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Slowly pour cornstarch mixture into berries and gently stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add butter and mix until blended. Cool berry mixture to lukewarm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While berry mixture is cooling, make pie crust dough. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine egg and heavy cream (or water if you don't have cream) and beat well. Roll out bottom crust and place in 9-inch pie plate. Brush with beaten egg mixture.
- Fill pie crust with cooled berry mixture and finish pie with a lattice top. Brush crust with beaten egg mixture and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake pie for 40 to 45 minutes until filling is hot a bubbling and pie crust is nicely browned. Cool before serving.
Costco has a premixed frozen triple berry blend that works great in this recipe.
2020 Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Tastes Better from Scratch