“I found this recipe while looking for Mexican breakfast ideas.” – April Ferre
Southwest Breakfast Haystacks
- 2/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 3 Green Onions Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Oil Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro Chopped
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Southwest Seasoning Divided
- 3 1/2 Cups Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 5 Large Eggs
- 5 Strips Bacon Coarsely Chopped
- Finely Chopped Green Onions Optional
- Combine sour cream, green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon Southwest seasoning. Set aside.
- If freshly shredded, rinse potatoes in cold water until water runs clear. Dry hash brown potatoes with a paper towel to remove excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and Southwest seasoning.
- Heat oil on an electric griddle over medium high heat. Drop potato mixture by 2/3 cupfuls into oil and flatten slightly. Fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Fry eggs and cook until desired doneness. Cook bacon until crisp.
- To assemble, top each hash brown with an egg, bacon, and sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with green onions if desired.
2020 Recipe – April Ferre – From Taste of Home