“I was testing out different chicken marinades for grilled chicken sandwiches and was looking for something with a smoky flavor. I was a little hesitant to add so much liquid smoke, because it is such a concentrated flavor. The smoke flavor is definitely strong, but not too overwhelming. If you want a more subtle smoke flavor, cut the liquid smoke in half.” – April Ferre
Smoky Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 2 Pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Orange or Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thick with a meat mallet. Pierce breasts all over with fork or meat tenderizer. Place in a ziploc bag.
- Combine remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined. And to bag with chicken and marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
- For a contact grill: Preheat grill for at least 5 minutes. Brush with oil to prevent sticking and grill for 3 minutes.
- For a non-contact grill: Brush with oil to prevent sticking and grill for 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, let rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Works well for sandwiches.
2021 Recipe – April Ferre