“I love the shrimp tacos at Rubios. This was meant to be a recreation of one of them. It didn’t really turn out like the Rubios tacos, but they are still really tasty. You can do this with or without pineapple. I just happened to have picked up a nice one at the grocery store and pineapple always goes great with shrimp. The pineapple slaw is also really good on its own.” – April Ferre
Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Slaw
For the Shrimp:
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Pound Medium Shrimp 41-50 Count, Peeled & Deveined
For the Pineapple Slaw:
- 3 Cups Cabbage Finely Shredded
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro Coarsely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Jalapeño Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Fresh Pineapple Diced Small
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Recipe Chipotle Cream Sauce Made One Day In Advance
- 2 Avocados Sliced
- 20 White Corn Tortillas
Prepare the Shrimp:
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice and spices in a bowl. Whisk well to combine. Add shrimp and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Sauté shrimp in a small amount of marinade until pink and just cooked through. Do not over cook!
Prepare the Pineapple Slaw:
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, and pineapple.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by combing the mayonnaise, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss well to combine. If eating over several days, only dress as much slaw as you will eat in one sitting.
Assemble the Tacos:
- Heat tortillas.
- Add 4 shrimp per taco and top with a small amount of chipotle cream sauce, then with a generous amount of pineapple slaw.
- Add a slice of avocado and serve immediately. Makes approximately 10 tacos.
2023 Original Recipe – April Ferre