“Mom and Dad sent me home with some barbecued Transpacific Flank Steak and some extra potatoes one weekend in July. I was in the grocery store trying to think of a nice green vegetable, other than my normal zucchini, to serve with it and saw the red chard. I had never cooked chard before, so I went looking for a recipe online. With an excess of onions in the apartment, I decided to try this and it turned out really good. It even reheated well in my lunches for the week. The original recipe also had kalamata olives and capers, but I’m not a fan of either, so I left them out. Some garden fresh tomatoes might go well in this too.” – April Ferre
Red Chard With Caramelized Onions
- 2 Small Or 1 Large Yellow Onion Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Bunch Red Chard Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper To Taste
- Juice Of 1 Lemon
- In a skillet, cook onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until they begin to brown. Stir in brown sugar and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- When onions are brown and tender, stir in chard. Cook until chard is slightly wilted. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice, and continue cooking until chard is completely wilted. Makes 3 small servings.