“Mom and Dad sent me home with some barbecued Transpacific Flank Steak and some extra potatoes one weekend in July. I was in the grocery store trying to think of a nice green vegetable, other than my normal zucchini, to serve with it and saw the red chard. I had never cooked chard before, so I went looking for a recipe online. With an excess of onions in the apartment, I decided to try this and it turned out really good. It even reheated well in my lunches for the week. The original recipe also had kalamata olives and capers, but I was not a fan of either at the time, so I left them out. Some garden fresh tomatoes might go well in this too.” – April Ferre
Red Chard With Caramelized Onions
- 2 Small or 1 Large Yellow Onion Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Bunch Red Chard Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper To Taste
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- In a skillet, cook onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until they begin to brown. Stir in brown sugar and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- When onions are brown and tender, stir in chard. Cook until chard is slightly wilted. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice, and continue cooking until chard is completely wilted. Makes 3 small servings.