“Scalloped potatoes are good, but Potatoes au Gratin are even better! Everything is better with cheese!” – April Ferre
Potatoes au Gratin
- 3 Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheese*
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- * You can use any type or combinations of cheeses that you desire. I personally like to use 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and slice potatoes and onions into 1/8 inch slices. A mandolin slicer is helpful for this. There is no need to peel the potatoes. Combine in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When butter starts to sizzle, add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add milk slowly, while whisking over medium heat until smooth and well combined. Add dry mustard and continue to cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until melted and well combined. Pour over potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.