“This peach pie is similar to the Loon Lake Blueberry Pie and the Strawberry Glace Pie in that it uses mostly fresh fruit in place of cooked fruit. Though I find this pie a little less sweet than its Blueberry and Strawberry counterparts. It is best with firm, ripe fruit with a smooth as compared to grainy texture. I personally don’t peel the peaches, as many nutrients are in the skin. This results in a more cloudy glaze, but the red skin of the fresh peaches peaks through for a nice effect.” – April Ferre
Glazed Peach Pie
- 5 Cups Peeled, Sliced Fresh Peaches
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Baked 9-Inch Pie Shell
- Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream
- Place 2 cups of peach slices and water in container or an electric blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a medium saucepan.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch. In saucepan, add sugar mixture to peach puree; stir well. Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add butter and almond extract, stirring until butter melts. Let cool.
- Arrange remaining 3 cups of peach slices in baked pastry shell. Pour glaze mixture over peach slices. Chill thoroughly. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
2011 Recipe – Calla Ferre – From A 1989 Hometown Collection: America’s Best Recipes