“I was making a ‘Buddha Bowl‘ for the first time and wanted something other than plain brown rice as a base. The recipe had called for cilantro, so I decided to incorporate that ingredient into the rice portion. I had some extra toasted almonds, so I thew those in as well and it was a nice addition. This rice can be used with so many different types of food, from Thai to Mexican.” – April Ferre
Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 2 Cups Long Grained Rice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 to 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- Juice of 3 Limes
- Zest of 2 Limes
- Cilantro Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds Toasted, Optional
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add the garlic and onions and cook until translucent.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the rice and salt. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the rice doesn't burn. Add 2 cups broth and the juice and zest of 2 limes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is done. Add more liquid as needed. The rice shouldn't be sticky.
- Before serving, add remaining lime juice, cilantro, and toasted almonds.