“The yogurt in this cake makes it nice and moist. The Superb Chocolate Frosting that goes with it is genuinely ‘superb.'” – April Ferre
Delectable Chocolate Cake
- 2 1- Oz Sqaures Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 2 Eggs Separated
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Cooking Oil
- 1 8- Oz Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch rounds.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler. Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add in 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Sift and measure flour. Sift again into large bowl with baking soda, salt and 1 cup sugar. Add oil and 1/2 of yogurt. Beat 1 minute. Add remaining yogurt, milk, egg yolks and melted chocolate. Beat 1 minute. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Cool on racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with Superb Chocolate Frosting. Makes 12-16 servings.
2000 Recipe – April Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking for Compliments, 1977