“The yogurt in this cake makes it nice and moist. The Superb Chocolate Frosting that goes with it is genuinely ‘superb.'” – April Ferre
Delectable Chocolate Cake
- 2 1-Ounce Sqaures Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 2 Eggs Separated
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Cooking Oil
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch rounds.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler. Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add in 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Sift and measure flour. Sift again into large bowl with baking soda, salt and 1 cup sugar. Add oil and 1/2 of yogurt. Beat 1 minute. Add remaining yogurt, milk, egg yolks and melted chocolate. Beat 1 minute. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Cool on racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with Superb Chocolate Frosting. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
2000 Recipe – April Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking for Compliments, 1977