“Come fall, I have a nice crop of limes on my tree in my garden. Not wanting to waste a single home grown fruit, I went looking for some interesting recipes to showcase my limes. That’s when I found this. I enjoy cole slaw and this seemed different. And it is very different and very good. The original recipe also included a finely chopped jalapeño in the dressing, so if you like a little heat, feel free to add that.” – April Ferre
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- Zest of 2 Limes (About 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Paste (About 1 to 2 Cloves)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Jalapeño Minced (Optional)
- 16 to 20 Ounces Cole Slaw Mix
- – Or 7 Cups Shredded Cabbage (Green Red, or Mix) Plus 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro Roughly Chopped & Packed
- 4 Green Onions Sliced
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, salt, cumin and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, cilantro and green onions.
- Toss dressing and vegetable mix until evenly mixed.
- Best if served immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- If the slaw will be eaten over several days, only dress as much salad as you will eat in a single sitting.
2023 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – Adapted from Gimme Some Oven