“A sweet treat to spice up your mid-week meals. I developed this remembering the Apricoted Cornish Hens that my Grandma made for Thanksgiving one year.” – April Ferre
Chicken With Apricot Sauce
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Divided
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 to 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- 2 Large Apples such as Gala Cored and Diced
- 2 Cans Apricot Halves
- Cinnamon To taste
- Pinch Cloves
- Sugar To Taste
- In large fry pan or Dutch oven, sauté onion in 2 Tablespoons butter and olive oil. When translucent, remove onion to bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken into bit-sized cubes. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add chicken to pan and cook through, adding more olive oil if necessary. Remove chicken and add to bowl with onions.
- In a medium sauce pan, sauté apples in 2 Tablespoons butter. Part way through cooking, sprinkle with cinnamon. When apples are tender and translucent, remove to bowl with chicken and onions.
- In same saucepan, add canned apricots. Mash with a potato masher. Season to taste with cinnamon, cloves and sugar. Cook apricot sauce until heated through. Pour sauce over chicken and stir to combine. Serve hot.
- For a beautiful presentation, this can also be done with Cornish game hens.
2002 Original Recipe, Revised in 2018 – April Ferre