“A decadent side dish! I made this to go with my Roast Beef for New Years Eve 2022.” – April Ferre
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Apple in Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2.5 Ounces Gorgonzola Cheese Crumbled
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 1/2 Pound Thick-Sliced Bacon Chopped in 1/2-Inch Pieces
- 1 Medium Onion Julienned
- 1 Large Granny Smith Apple Peeled & Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Pound Brussels Sprouts Halved
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
Prepare Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
- Combine heavy cream and Dijon mustard in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add Gorgonzola cheese. Mix until cheese is incorporated. Add a pinch of nutmeg; stir to combine. Set aside.
Prepare Brussels Sprouts:
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 to 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings and add onion. Sauté until nearly translucent.
- Add apple and kosher salt and continue to cook until apples are just cooked through.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and regular salt to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts, cover and cook for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Bring Gorgonzola sauce again to a simmer. Meanwhile add Brussels sprouts and bacon to the onion and apple mixture. Pour over sauce and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
2022 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – Adapted from What’s in the Pan? & Alton Brown.