“Simple ingredients, but very rich and creamy. You won’t be disappointed. They also reheat well in the microwave if you have leftovers.” – April Ferre
Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
- 15 to 25 Cremini Mushrooms
- 4 Slices Bacon Diced
- 1 Medium Onion Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Green Pepper Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Dash Pepper
- 3 Ounces Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Buttered Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Hot Water
- Parsley For Garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish, set aside.
- Wash and dry mushrooms. Remove stems; chop and reserve for stuffing. Fry diced bacon in skillet. Drain and reserve 2 Tablespoons drippings. Saute onion, green pepper, and mushroom stems in bacon drippings. Add bacon, salt and pepper. Cool slightly and combine with cream cheese.
- Press mixture firmly into mushroom caps, mounding slightly. Top with buttered bread crumbs. Place mushrooms in buttered baking dish. At this point, mushrooms may be covered and refrigerated 1 to 2 days. Add hot water to baking dish and bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish each with parsley, if desired.
2016 Recipe – April Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking For Compliments, 1977.