“We have a wonderful Peanut Butter Cookie recipe that’s been passed down on my Mom’s side of the family for generations. That recipe makes a crispy cookie, but I’ve always preferred chewy cookies, so this is the recipe I generally use.” – April Ferre
April’s Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 1/2 Cup Shortening or Margarine Softened
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients. Blend well. Stir in remaining ingredients; blend well.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten in criss-cross pattern with fork.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Makes 36 to 48 cookies.
1995 Recipe – April Ferre – From Pillsbury Kitchen’s Family Cookbook, 1979