“This is an easy cake for late at night when you want something quick. It use to be on the Bisquick box, but when I went to make it one day, it wasn’t there any more, so it had to find an old box. Lesson learned, always copy recipes into your cookbook from backs of boxes before they disappear! This topping is good on other cakes as well for when you don’t want to wait for the cake to cool to put frosting on it.” – Calla Ferre
Velvet Crumb Cake
- 1 1/2 Cup Bisquick
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk or Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoons Shortening
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Flaked Coconut
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 1/4 Cup Nuts Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Margarine or Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Beat first 6 ingredients in large bowl for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees in 8×8-inch pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly.
- Spread topping (Mix well: coconut, brown sugar, nuts, butter and milk) over cake. Broil 3 inches from heat until golden, about 3 minutes.
1946 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From the back of the Bisquick box