“Really fragrant and delicious rice. This would pair well with a lot of different types of food, not just Indian cuisines.” – April Ferre
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Large or 2 Small Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 4 Green Cardamoms
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 3 to 4 inches Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Strand Mace Optional
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 Cups Stock or Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Chopped, Optional
- 1/4 Cup Nuts & Raisins Optional
- Rinse rice well and then soak for 15 minutes. Drain rice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine turmeric, pepper, bay leaves, cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise and mace.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt butter. When bubbly, sauté ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Do not brown the garlic.
- Add spices and rice and increase the heat. Fry the rice for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in stock and salt. Consult your package of rice to find out how much liquid to use. Bring rice to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice has fully absorbed all the liquid.
- When done, remove from heat and fluff the rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro or some nuts and raisins, if desired.
2023 Recipe – April Ferre – From Swasthi’s Recipes