“I went on another Thai food kick in the summer of 2022 after locating an Asian grocery store in Vacaville. I added several amazing recipes during those couple weeks, including this one. It is so rich and creamy with just a hint of red curry. I was unsure at first about a coconut soup, since I usually associate coconut with sweet and not savory, but oh my gosh this is fantastic!” – April Ferre
Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Fresh Ginger or Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Lemongrass Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Red Curry Paste
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 3 13.5- Ounce Cans Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Pound Shiitake Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 Pound Medium Shrimp Peeled & Deveined
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- Salt To Taste
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Chopped
- In a Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Combine ginger, lemongrass and curry paste in a small bowl, mixing until well blended. Cook the curry paste mixture in oil for a minute or two until the paste mostly dries out.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth, stirring to fully incorporate the curry paste mixture. Add fish sauce and palm sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms. Simmer over medium low heat for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft. Add the shrimp and continue simmering until they are cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lime juice. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
2022 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – Adapted from All Recipes