“We frequently use the Sweet and Sour Sauce from this recipe on chicken as well.” – Calla Ferre
Sweet And Sour Pork
- 1 Lb Pork Tenderloin In 1-Inch Cubes
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Five-Flavor Spice Optional
- 4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Oil For Deep Frying
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic Crushed
- 1 Medium Onion Quartered
- 2 Small Green Peppers Seeded And Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces
- 5 Tablespoons Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Catsup
- 5 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch Mixed With 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Slices Pineapple Cut In 6 Pieces
- Place pork in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and pat dry. Mix with marinade of egg yolk, salt, soy sauce and five-flavor spice and let stand for 15 minutes. Coat pork with cornstarch. Heat oil (360 degrees) and deep fry pork until light brown. Remove. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil, stir-fry garlic, onion, and green pepper on high for a few minutes, then add sugar, catsup and vinegar. When just boiling, add cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Add fried pork and pineapple. Stir briefly. Serve hot. Serves 2 as a main course or 4-6 Chinese style.
One fresh red pimento may be substituted for one green pepper.
1989 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From her cooking class with Julia Cheng