“We were eating sweet potatoes fairly often at one point; I was trying to expand my soup recipes, and I came up with this.” – Calla Ferre
“The original recipe Mom gave me was just a list of ingredients, but when I went to make it, I decided to write down some measurements. I’m not sure how close they are to how she would make it, and I did make a couple additions. I saw the nice brownings from the bacon at the bottom of the pan, and it seemed to be a shame to lose them, so I deglazed with some sherry. I also had some caramelized onions in my fridge and thought they might go well on top, and they did!” – April Ferre
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Peeled & Cubed
- 4 Strips Bacon Chopped
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery Chopped
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas & Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Dry Sherry Optional
- 2 Cups Milk or Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Salt Or To Taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper Or To Taste
- Caramelized Onions Optional, For Garnish
- Green Onions Optional, For Garnish
- Boil sweet potatoes until soft.
- Fry bacon in a Dutch oven until crispy. Remove bacon to a dish.
- Add onions and celery and cook until translucent. When almost finished, add peas and carrots and cook until heated through.
- If desired, deglaze with dry sherry to loosen the brownings from the bottom of the pan. Cook another minute until sherry is mostly absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in sweet potatoes.
- Combine sweet potato mixture and cream in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to the pan and add bacon, salt and pepper, then heat the soup on low until hot.
- Serve soup garnished with caramelized and/or green onions.