“The sesame seeds make these just a little different. But these are also really great dipped in red or green sugar and placed on a Christmas cookie platter.” – April Ferre
- 1/3 Cup Sesame Seeds See Note
- 1 Cup Margarine or Butter Softened
- 2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 48 2 Tablespoons Slivered Almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread sesame seed on ungreased cookie sheet; bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown. Stir occasionally. Cool and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat margarine and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour and salt; mix well. Refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
- For each cookie, shape a rounded teaspoonful of dough into a ball; flatten ball between hands to form a 1 1/2- to 1 3/4-inch round. Fold in 2 sides until edges touch, forming a bell shape. Dip the open end in sesame seed; press slivered almond into dough for clapper. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 14 minutes or until very light golden brown. Immediately remove cookies from cookie sheets. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
You can also use chocolate candy sprinkles, colored candy bits, or colored sugar.
1997 Recipe – April Ferre – Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookie and Cakes, 1991.