“Marinating meat means extra added character to your meal. I found that this marinade worked well on chicken and helps to keep it moist. The closest I’ve come to this is the marinated meat from the Freedom Meat Market.” – Calla Ferre
“This is an excellent marinade. It gives the chicken a fresh, bright flavor. My mom initially used this for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but during a time when inflation was high and money tight, I found that chicken leg quarters were reasonably priced and they became a new favorite ingredient. These new added directions are meant to mimic cooking these on the barbecue.” – April Ferre
Savory Wine Marinade for Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1/4 Cup Lemon or Lime Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Snipped Parsley
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
- Place chicken or fish in a plastic bag set in a deep bowl or in a shallow baking dish. Pour marinade mixture over meat. Close bag or cover dish; refrigerate 4 to 6 hours or overnight. (I prefer overnight – better flavor, two days okay.) Turn the bag or spoon marinade over the meat occasionally to coat evenly.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups (enough for 3 pounds of meat).
- Note: This recipe was originally made for the barbecue.
Directions for boneless, skinless chicken breasts baked indoors:
- Prepare marinade as above.
- Place the marinated chicken breasts in a 9×13-inch pan. Pour marinade over, spooning some of the chopped onions so that they rest on the top of the chicken pieces.
- Cover and bake at 450 degrees (500 degrees if chicken is still partially frozen. In a pinch I have placed frozen chicken breasts in marinade the night before use, though defrosting first comes out slightly better).
- Bake until done, about one hour. Then uncover and place under broiler until browned nicely.
Directions for chicken leg quarters baked indoors:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone mat and place a wire rack on top.
- Remove chicken from marinade and shake off any excess. Reserve extra marinade.
- Place chicken skin-side down on wire rack and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and increase temperature to 425 degrees. Carefully flip chicken over, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Baste with extra marinade and put some of the onion on top of each chicken leg. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to oven and bake another 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees. Chicken skin should be crispy and brown, but if it is not browned to your liking you can set under the broiler for a couple minutes.
2003 Revised Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Better Homes and Gardens All Time Favorite Recipes, 1979. 2023 Addition – April Ferre – (Chicken leg quarter directions)