“Mom would make this in a 9×13 pan and top with Seven Minute Frosting, usually for a Memorial Day barbecue.” – Calla Ferre
“I got this recipe from Ruth, my best friend in Oregon. She was a dental assistant and her husband was the coach at the local high school. Our families did a lot together; we would go camping often. We were also both members of Beta Sigma Phi, and she brought this to one of our parties.” – Jean Hansen
Red Devil’s Food Cake
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Shortening
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Cups Cake Flour Sifted
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk or Sour Milk
- 1 Cup Water Boiling
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa and salt. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk or sour milk. Beat until smooth.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add last. Mix until well blended.
- Bake in three layers or a large loaf pan at 350 degrees, about 30 to 40 minutes. This cake batter is quite thin. It makes a large, moist, delicious cake.
1950s Recipe – Ruth Jacobs