“The vendors often serve this basic slaw as a side dish at the Whole Earth Festival, held annually on Mother’s Day weekend at UC Davis. It celebrates environmentalism, homemade goods and crafts, natural fiber clothes, and vegetarian cuisine. I usually get some sort of falafel or hummus wrapped in pita in addition to the slaw. In looking for a recipe, I came across a lot of other good optional additions to just the cabbage and carrot. Feel free to try different combinations. Apples make for a nice refreshing variation.” – April Ferre
Red Cabbage And Carrot Slaw
- 1 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar Or To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt Or To Taste
- 1 Head Red Cabbage Shredded
- 4 Large Carrots Shredded
*** Optional ***
- 4 Green Onions Sliced
- 2 Tart Green Apples Shredded
- 1 Cup Jicama Shredded
- 2 Teaspoons Toasted Sesame Seed
- 2 Teaspoons Poppy Seed
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, olive oil and salt. Whisk well to blend.
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots and any optional ingredients. Toss well. Pour dressing over and toss well again to coat.
- Refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight. Serve chilled.
2011 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre