“These are an Italian cookie often made at Christmas time. I first had them at a Christmas craft faire, and fell in love with them. And for those with gluten sensitivities, they are gluten free!” – April Ferre
- 16 ounces Almond Paste Finely Crumbled
- 1 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Large Egg Whites Room Temperature
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line sheet trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats coated with non-stick spray.
- In a food processor, pulse the almond paste until finely crumbled. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon and salt and stir by hand to combine. Add the honey, egg whites, and lemon zest and beat with mixer at medium-high speed until mixture is thick and well combined, about 5 minutes.
- Roll into 1 inch balls. If you are not concerned about keeping these gluten-free, a little flour on your hands is helpful. Press pine nuts into the top. Bake until the cookies are golden, about 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool briefly on cookie sheet until you can remove them without the bottoms coming off.