“Cookie or candy? Not quite sure where this fits in, but it’s fun both to make and to eat.” – April Ferre
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
- 8 Medium Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 Cup Butter Melted
- 2 1/2 Cups (15 Oz) Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 Cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In food processor or blender process cookies until finely ground. Add butter and mix together completely. Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 8×8 inch baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler over slightly simmering water or microwave chocolate, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted. Pour half the melted chocolate into pan and smooth evenly over crust. Place pan in refrigerator. Keep remaining chocolate warm.
- To prepare peanut butter filling, blend peanut butter and butter together until smooth using a food processor or electric mixer. Slowly beat in powdered sugar and then add vanilla. Beat until smooth. Spread peanut butter filling over chilled chocolate layer. Finish by pouring the remaining warm chocolate over filling and spreading smooth. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour or until firm. Cut into bars and serve.
1995 Recipe – April Ferre – From Mrs. Field’s Cookie Book