“What attracted me to this recipe was the ease of using a store-bought roll mix, the combination of orange and honey, and the novelty of the bird shape of this bread. Makes a nice show piece for a brunch.” – April Ferre
Partridge Bread With Orange-Honey Butter
- 1 Package Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Peel Grated
- Juice Of 1 Orange Plus Water To Make 1 Cup Liquid
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Egg Slightly Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Butter Or Margarine Softened
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Peel Grated
- 3 Tablespoons Sliced Almonds
- Powdered Sugar
- In large bowl, combine flour mixture with yeast from foil packet, sugar, and 1 tablespoon orange peel; blend well. In small sauce pan, orange juice until liquid is very warm (120-130 degrees). Stir in orange juice, almond extract and egg until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Turn dough out onto floured surface. With greased or floured hands, shape dough into a ball. Knead 5 minutes until smooth. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Cover with large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Grease large cookie sheet. Using rolling pin or hands, on floured surface, shape one piece of dough into a 8×4 inch oval, forming the wings of the bird. Place in center of cookie sheet. Shape second piece into triangle 12-inches high and 6-inches across at the bottom. Center triangle lengthwise over oval. Twist narrow end to the right, forming the head. Pinch point to form beak. Twist wide end to left to form tail. Make five 1-inch cuts across the bottom and separate to form tail feathers. Cover dough with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover dough and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine butter, honey and 1 teaspoon orange peel. Beat until smooth. Remove bread from oven and brush with orange- honey butter. Arrange almonds on oval section to form feathers. Return to oven and bake 5 more minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. When cool (takes quite a while), sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with remaining orange-honey butter. Makes one 16-slice loaf.
1997 Recipe – April Ferre – From Classic Pillsbury Cookbooks: Holiday IX, 1990