“After making a fantastic vanilla ice cream from Mable Hoffman’s Ice Cream cookbook, I had to try her chocolate one! I did make one mistake; I used unsweetened chocolate instead of semisweet, but I’m happy to report it still came out great.” – April Ferre
Old Fashioned Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Melted
- 2/3 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in whole milk. Stir over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs. Stir about 1 cup hot milk mixture into beaten eggs. Stir egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture. Cook and stir over low heat until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in melted chocolate. Beat with a whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in evaporated milk, cream and vanilla. Refrigerate until cool or overnight.
- Pour into ice cream canister and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 2 quarts.
2020 Recipe – April Ferre – From Ice Cream by Mable & Gar Hoffman