“During the summer of 2022 I was trying to save money by using the odds and ends in my cupboard and had a random can of pinto beans. So I turned to Google for ideas and found this. Super tasty, a little smoky and a little spicy. Goes great served on the side with Mexican Rice.” – April Ferre
Mexican Charro Beans
- 1/2 Pound Bacon Chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Jalapeño Finely Diced
- 3 to 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 14- Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Abodo Sauce Seeds Removed & Finely Diced
- 1 Teaspoon Abodo Sauce
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 16- Ounce Cans Pinto Beans Drained & Rinsed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Handful Cilantro Chopped
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain bacon grease, reserving 2 to 3 tablespoons. Sauté onion and jalapeño in reserved bacon grease until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add diced tomatoes with their liquid, chipotle pepper and abodo sauce. Stir well to combine and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until most of the tomato liquid has evaporated.
- Add bacon, chicken broth, pinto beans, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin and bay leaves. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until the beans reach your desired consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
2022 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – Adapted from Southern Discourse