“I had originally hoped to serve this with a Greek-Style Baked Cod recipe. Unfortunately, that recipe flopped, but this rice was fantastic. It makes a lot rice, so I needed to find something else to serve with it. That led me to my Sumac Chicken recipe and they went perfectly together. This would still be a great accompaniment to fish.” – April Ferre
Lebanese Rice with Pine Nuts
- 2 Cups Medium or Long Grain White Rice
- 1 Cup Vermicelli Pasta Broken into Small Pieces
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Pine Nuts Toasted
- Rinse the rice until water runs clear, then place it in a medium bowl and cover with water. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Test to see if you can easily break a grain of rice by simply placing it between your thumb and index finger. Drain well.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium-high. Add the vermicelli and continuously stir to toast it evenly. Vermicelli should turn a nice golden brown, but watch carefully not to over-brown or burn it.
- Add the rice and continue to stir so that the rice will be well-coated with the olive oil. Season with salt.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat to low and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes on low. Once fully cooked, turn the heat off and leave the rice undisturbed in it’s cooking pot for 10-15 minutes, then uncover, add pine nuts and fluff with a fork.