Kung Pao Chicken
- 1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Cubed
- 1 Egg White Lightly Beaten
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Black Bean Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Sherry
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Raw Unsalted Peanuts
- 1 Or 2 Dried Red Chilies Crushed
- – Or 1 Teaspoon Dried Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Cooked Rice
- Combine chicken, egg white and cornstarch in small bowl. Mix next 7 ingredients in another small bowl. Set sauce aside.
- Heat oil in wok or heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peanuts and chilies and cook until peanuts are golden brown; about 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Increase heat to high. Add chicken mixture and stir fry until chicken is lightly browned, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Return peanuts to wok. Add sauce and blend thoroughly. Cook until heated through, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Serve immediately over freshly cooked rice.
1977 Recipe – Jean Hansen