“Another recipe I found to fit into my County Fair cooking marathon. Slightly sweet and good for sandwiches or for your toast in the morning.” – April Ferre
Honey Oat Bread
- 1 Cup Water Boiling
- 1 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 3 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Dairy Sour Cream
- 2 Packages Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Water Warm
- 2 Eggs
- 6 1/2 Cups Part All-Purpose And Part Bread Flour
- Combine boiling water, oats, honey, butter and salt. Stir until butter is melted. Add sour cream and cool to lukewarm.
- Soften yeast in warm (105-115 degree) water. Stir in eggs and 2 cups flour. Add to oat mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in additional flour to make stiff dough.
- Turn onto floured board and knead until elastic. Let dough rest 20 minutes. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased bread pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Baste bread with melted butter while cooking to give a flakey, buttery crust. Makes 2 loaves.
2000 Recipe – April Ferre – Daily Bread, 1992