“One of my most favorite indulgences when I go to a Chinese restaurant, besides cream cheese won tons, is Honey Crispy Walnut Shrimp. Then one day it finally dawned on me to try to find a recipe for it so I could make it at home. It takes a bit of work to fry the shrimp, but it makes for a nice treat.” – April Ferre
Honey Crispy Walnut Shrimp
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2/3 Cup Mochiko (Glutinous Rice Flour)
- 1 Pound Large Shrimp 21-25 Count, Peeled, Deveined and Tails Off
- Oil for Frying
- Candied Walnuts
- Sliced Green Onions Optional (For Garnish)
- Make the sauce by combining mayonnaise, honey and sweetened condensed milk. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Stir in the mochiko until it has a pasty consistency. Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high (350 degree) heat. Dip shrimp into the mochiko batter, and then fry in the hot oil until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, honey sauce and candied walnuts. Toss until well coated. Top with sliced green onions, if desired. Serve immediately.