“This dish freezes and reheats well. I like to make more than I need so that on a busy night I can pull a nice dinner out of the freezer. I find that I make this dish often, so I like making my herb rub in bulk, double or tripling it, making it easier to fix at a moments notice.” – Calla Ferre
Herb Rubbed Chicken with Mushrooms & Wine
Herb Rub for Chicken:
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken Boullion Granules
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Sage
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Marjoram
- 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Onion
- 1/4 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
Main Dish Preparation:
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 12 Ounces White or Brown Mushrooms
- Oil for Frying
- 2 to 3 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Large Onion Cut Into Wedges
- 1 Cup Red Wine See Note
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Honey Or to Taste
- Cornstarch As Needed for Thickening
- Combine all ingredients for the herb rub in a blender. Process for 3 to 4 minutes or until blended fine. For ease of use, place in an empty spice jar with a lid that will allow for shaking.
- Sauté mushrooms in a little butter. Remove to a bowl along with juices and set aside.
- Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally and then pound pieces as needed to achieve and even thickness. Generously sprinkle herb rub onto all sides of the chicken and rub in. Store any left over spice mixture in an airtight container.
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Sear the chicken. Do not over crowd the pan; sear only 2 to 3 pieces at a time. Over crowding the pan will allow juices to be released from the chicken and the chicken will not brown. Once the pieces are brown, remove to a plate and continue until all pieces are beautifully golden.
- Once all chicken is seared, place onion in the pan and sauté until almost caramelized.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms to the pan along with any reserved juices. Add the red wine, water and honey. Add back the chicken and any juices that have been released onto the plate. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- If desired, add additional honey to sweeten to taste. Make a slurry of cornstarch and water. Add it to the pan slowly while continuously stirring to thicken the sauce to your liking.
2021 Original Recipe – Calla Ferre