Helen’s Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine
- 3/4 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 Cups Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Raisins, Chopped Nuts, or Chocolate Chips
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. In bowl, combine dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, blending well. Stir in raisins, nuts or chocolate chips. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes (chewy cookies) or 10 to 11 minutes (crisp cookies).
- Substitute regular flour with gluten-free flour and add 3/8 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum. Mix xanthan gum in with dry ingredients. After removing cookie sheet from the oven, allow cookies to rest for 1 to 2 minutes before taking them off the pan. This helps them from crumbling upon removal from the tray.
Recipe – Helen Ferre; 2020 Gluten-Free Adaptation – Calla Ferre