“My Mom would make this up ever year, but I had to stop eating it when I found out I was allergic to tomatoes. It’s very good relish.” – Calla Ferre
Green Tomato Relish (Blue Ribbon Bordeaux Relish)
- 3 Red Peppers
- 3 Green Peppers
- 6 Green Tomatoes
- 2 Quarts (8 Cups) Cabbage, Chopped
- 1 Quart Vinegar
- 1 Ounce (2 Tablespoons) Mustard Seed
- 1/2 Ounce (1 Tablespoons) Celery Seed
- 1/4 Cup Salt Non-Iodized
- 1/2 Ounce (1 Tablespoon) Turmeric
- 1 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- Put peppers and tomatoes through a grinder. Combine ingredients and boil 45 minutes.
- Pack into hot, sterilized jars. Makes 6 pints.
1950s Recipe – Jean Hansen – From the YWCA of Salem, Oregon Cookbook