“A favorite of mine when I was but a little girl.” – Jean Hansen
Grandma Stacker’s Kisses
- 1/2 Cup Milk Room Temperature
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons White Vinegar
- 2 Cups Flour Rounded
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Lard or Shortening
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Pound Coconut
- Combine milk and vinegar and let sour for 5 to 10 minutes until curdled.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream lard and brown sugar. Add vanilla.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour milk to creamed mixture. Mix in coconut.
- Place by rounded spoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.
Early 1900s Recipe – Calla Stacker – From Fond du Lac Cookbook; Updated 2021 – April Ferre