“I have not yet figured out how to translate Grandma’s Pepper Nuts (Pfeffernüsse) recipe into gluten free. This cookie has its flavor profile and makes an enjoyable spice cookie.” – Calla Ferre
Spice Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- 3/4 Cup Butter Melted & Cooled
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 3/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Anise Seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugars until smooth. Add in eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth and slightly thickened.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and spices. Fold almond mixture into butter mixture until just combined.
- For cookies that hold better shape when baked, chill dough for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop balls of dough on prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges are golden and center is just set, about 10 to 12 minutes.