“When money became tight, I had to adopt a waste not, want not philosophy. I had a bunch of tomatoes in the refrigerator that were on the verge of going bad, so I found a soup recipe using canned tomatoes and adapted it. At some point it will be interesting to try to canned tomato recipe, since this adaptation came out so well.” – April Ferre
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 1/2 Cups Tomato Seeds Removed & Diced
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil Chopped Plus More for Serving
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar Or To Taste
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream or Half & Half Or To Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese Finely Grated
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Heat butter is a 2-quart saucepan and sauté onion over medium heat until golden. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return soup to the pan and add cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Taste and adjust sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnished with additional chopped fresh basil. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
2022 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – Adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen