“I love cream cheese frosting! And this one is top notch. The Maraschino Cherry variation is particularly good. Cream cheese frosting goes very well with banana flavored baked goods and of course with Carrot Cake!” – April Ferre
Creamy Butter-Cheese Frosting
- 1 3- Oz Package Cream Cheese Softened
- 1/4 Cup Butter Softened
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Pound Box Powdered Sugar
- Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Blend in milk, vanilla and salt. Gradually add powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Makes filling and frosting for two or three 9-inch layers.
- Chocolate Butter-Cheese Frosting: Beat 2 ounces melted unsweetened baking chocolate into finished frosting. Add milk or cream as necessary.
- Orange Butter-Cheese Frosting: Substitute 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate for milk.
- Banana Butter-Cheese Frosting: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon banana extract for 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Maraschino Butter-Cheese Frosting: Substitute 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice for milk. Stir in 3 tablespoons minced maraschino cherries. Add red food coloring.
- Citrus Butter-Cheese Frosting: Add 1 1/2 teaspoon grated orange, lime, grapefruit or lemon peel to finished frosting.
- Panocha Butter-Cheese Frosting: Omit 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar. Heat 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar with butter and milk until sugar melts; cool. Beat in cream cheese and remaining ingredients.
- Coconut Butter-Cheese Frosting: Toast 1 cup or 1 3.5-ounce can flaked coconut. Crumble half and stir into finished frosting. Garnish with remaining half.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking For Compliments, 1977